Cheap student food. The corner-stone of mankind. In this article we cook a dish, that put me through college and high-school.
This is excellent food for students as its dirt cheap, tastes good and looks awful.
It has a lot of protein and carbs in it, making it perfect for those gym-going types, and as a bonus: it’s not entirely terrible for one’s health! – After all, I graduated.
This recipe is a variation of Finnish classic: makaronilaatikko but without the eggs, milk and hour in the oven to compensate for poor time-management skills.
How to make Student Food #001
Here is a video of me making one of the first iterations of the recipe.
Basics are the same but some optimization to final recipe has been made.
How to Make It
- Heat up the meat at room temperature for 30 min
- Measure 2 liters of water to a large pot
- Put the pot on the stove and insert spices and bullion cubes
- Pre-heat frying pan, add oil and few drops of water
- Add meat when water has vaporized away
- Add macaroni to boiling water
- Season the meat when about 80% done
- Add the soy to boil with macaroni when 2 min left
- Drain water from macaroni
- Mix ingredients, divide to 6 meals
- Stuff in the face with ketchup
Six OK sized servings if you don’t be too greedy.
|Bullion cube||20g||2 cubes|
|Salt||18 g||1 tbsp|
|Oil, Macadamia Nut||7 g||0,5 tbsp|
|Whole-Grain Macaroni||400 g||~ 14 oz|
|10% Ground beef||400 g||~ 14 oz|
|Dark Textured Soy Protein||36 g (1 dl)||~ 0,5 cup|
|Water||2 l||~ 8,5 cups|
|Ground beef seasoning||a lot||even more|
|Paprika powder||5 ml||1 tsp|
|Curry||5 ml||1 tsp|
|Chili powder||10 ml||2 tsp|
Nutritional content of Student Food #001 per serving. Percentage of daily value in bracets, more info in the picture.
- Calories: 382 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 44 g (15 %)
- Fats: 11 g (16 %)
- Proteins: 26 g (53 %)
Student Food #001 on MyFitnessPal
⇒ Did you try? How was it? Leave a comment below!